Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
Policy & Communications is at the heart of how Airbnb works with communities and stakeholders around the world. We’re accepting applications for a position as a Senior Policy Economist (part of Airbnb’s Data Science organization) supporting this team to ensure these engagements are data-driven. Candidates should have a strong background in data modeling and analytics, and demonstrated skill in organizing, communicating, and presenting analysis via visualizations, dashboards, maps, and other tools.
The Difference You Will Make:
The position offers an opportunity to provide meaningful insights both within Airbnb and to communities across the world. As a result, the role requires working with cross-functional partners throughout the organization (policy/comms, business, legal, finance, data science), as well as external partners outside of Airbnb (experts, academics, policy- makers, media). Candidates should be able to navigate these environments, operating independently and driving their own agenda, but must also work well with partners. A teamwork mentality and “no task too big or too small” attitude is key.
The scope of work includes quantitative analysis of high-impact, high-visibility topics including housing, tourism, economic development/impact, taxes, and regulation. Because of this visibility, translation of sometimes complex analyses into accessible and scalable resources is key. You will not only be the trusted data expert on the team, but also a storyteller.
A Typical Day:
- Regulatory impact analysis and modeling, as well as guidance to policy team members
- Using AI/ML models to derive insights from legislation and other unstructured data sources
- Collaboration with academics and experts on policy research topics
- Mapping and spatial analysis of data
- Amazing visualizations to convey key concepts.
- Converting insights into “Data Journalism” useful for our communications team
- Building prototypes, dashboards, and other tools to scale data usage across a large org
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field.
- 6+ years experience in data modeling & analysis.
- Ability to perform complex strategic analysis.
- Excellent project management, communication, and teamwork skills
- Causal inference techniques (e.g. econometric regressions & quasi-experimental techniques)
- Knowledge of data tools including: R/Python, SQL, Data Visualization, GIS, Excel
- Exposure to the policy and economics domain, or adjacent domains
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We strive to also provide a disability inclusive application and interview process. If you are a candidate with a disability and require reasonable accommodation in order to submit an application, please contact us at: email@example.com. Please include your full name, the role you’re applying for and the accommodation necessary to assist you with the recruiting process.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We’ll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.