Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly to make transportation safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. The Aurora Driver is a self-driving system designed to operate multiple vehicle types, from freight-hauling semi-trucks to ride-hailing passenger vehicles, and underpins Aurora Horizon and Aurora Connect, its driver-as-a-service products for trucking and ride-hailing. Aurora is working with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem, including Toyota, FedEx, Volvo Trucks, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, U.S. Xpress, Werner, Covenant, Schneider, and Ryder. For Aurora’s latest news, visit aurora.tech and @aurora_inno on Twitter.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. On the Aurora Data Science team, you will join a world-class group whose mission is generating insights and intelligence to improve the Aurora Driver and help accelerate our path towards safe and broad commercialization of Autonomous Vehicle technology. In this role, we are looking for an exceptional Data Science Leader to manage a team of high-performing Data Scientists focusing on the development of the Aurora Driver.
As Data Science Lead, you will play a pivotal role in establishing and streamlining Aurora Driver’s development and Verification & Validation strategies, and enabling safety analysis, using extensive data from online (on-road) and offline (simulation) modalities to help Aurora achieve its product and commercialization goals. The ideal candidate will be someone who thrives on teamwork, getting things done, expert attention to detail, and with an ability to navigate cross-functional projects with our partner Software and Hardware Engineering teams. If your passions align with working on cutting edge projects to deliver impactful Data Science analysis and workflows, the Aurora Data Science team is the perfect opportunity for you.
In this role, you will
- Lead and develop a world-class Data Science function that provides data-driven insights to accelerate the development of the Aurora Driver
- Work directly with Engineering leadership to inform the development of the Aurora Driver and streamline critical Verification & Validation activities
- Design and create novel Data Science programs that are scalable and support our Autonomy subsystems teams (mapping, perception, motion planning, controls)
- Provide thought leadership to ensure broad adoption of best practices and novel methodologies in our Data Science & Analyst community
- Mentor and guide team members to ensure their technical and professional growth
- Be hands-on as well as strategic; we need leaders who are willing and able to operate at all levels
- 3+ years as a tech lead and/or people manager in a Data Science or similar technical team
- Advanced degree (MS or PhD) in Statistics, Computer Science, Operations Research, Economics, or a related quantitative field
- Experience partnering with Engineering teams to deploy Data Science models and pipelines
- Demonstrable proficiency in coding, programming concepts, and technical tools with analysis, combined with the enthusiasm and passion to build. Must be proficient in Python
- Strong knowledge and experience using relational databases (SQL, PostgreSQL, etc.) and best practices for Data Engineering
- Deep knowledge and experience with both common and advanced Data Science, inference, and statistical modeling tools (eg. numpy, sklearn, pytorch, etc.)
- Proven ability to communicate technical, data-driven analysis to both technical and non-technical audiences across stakeholders, including translating and cascading Executive input into their work
- Experience working on safety critical development projects
- Experience managing advanced data transformation tools such as DBT
- Experience setting up ETL pipelines and leveraging big data engines
- Experience building and deploying Data Science projects using Amazon Web Services (AWS) tools
- Experience in the Autonomous Vehicle, Robotics, or Advanced Transportation spaces
The base salary range for this position is $170,000-$272,000 per year. Aurora’s pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, the successful candidate’s starting base pay will be determined based on factors including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, relevant education or training, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future. The successful candidate will also be eligible for an annual bonus, equity compensation, and benefits.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together extraordinarily talented and experienced people united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and build a culture where we win together — all without any jerks.
We have offices in several locations across the United States, where we encourage team and cross-functional collaboration. Aurora offers competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits, and additional healthcare support including medical transportation reimbursement, fertility, adoption, and surrogacy benefits. We empower our employees and their families with options to further their unique physical, mental, and financial well-being.
Our Learning and Development offerings include Aurora Academy, where our people learn, develop, and practice the essential skills that drive Aurora’s mission, continually up-leveling our team along the way. Our Careers page provides insight into career opportunities at Aurora, and you can find all the latest news on our Blog.
Safety is central to everything we do. Every employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. We seek candidates who take active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by working safely — no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including increased access to transportation. To realize those benefits, we need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives — a workforce that reflects the communities our technology will serve.
Aurora is committed to providing access to anyone who seeks information from our website. We invite anyone using assistive technologies, such as a screen reader or Braille reader, to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if they experience difficulty using our website. Please describe the accessibility problem and include a URL (if available).