Baseball Analytics supports the decision-making processes throughout Baseball Operations, including Player Valuation, Player Development, Major League Strategic Information, and Sports Science. Core responsibilities include predictive modeling, long-term research, report creation, and delivering the output of one’s work in a clear and digestible manner.
The Boston Red Sox are seeking an Summer Analytics Intern for the team’s Baseball Analytics department. The role will support all areas of Baseball Operations while working closely with Director of Baseball Analytics, and our team of analysts. This is an opportunity to work in a fast-paced, intellectually curious environment and to impact player evaluation, acquisition, development and strategic decision making.
This is a summer internship for current college students pursuing a degree in an analytical field or other similar fields of study.
- Statistical modeling and quantitative analysis of a variety of data sources, for the purpose of player evaluation, strategic decision-making, decision analysis, etc.
- Effectively present analyses through the use of written reports and data visualization to disseminate insights to members of the Baseball Operations leadership.
- Maintain working expertise of leading-edge analytics, including publicly available research and novel statistical approaches, in order to recommend new or emerging techniques, technologies, models, and algorithms.
- Other projects and related duties as directed by the Director, Baseball Analytics, and other members of Baseball Operations leadership.
- Pursing or recently completed a Bachelor’s or advanced degree in an analytical field such as statistics, predictive analytics, data science, engineering, applied math, physics, quantitative social sciences, computer science, computer vision, or operations research.
- Understanding of statistical methods or machine learning techniques.
- Proficiency with modern database technologies including SQL.
- Demonstrated experience with programming languages (e.g., R or Python).
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical ideas to non-technical audiences using data visualization.
- Attention to detail while also having the ability to work quickly and balance multiple priorities.
At the Boston Red Sox and Fenway Sports Management, we go beyond embracing diversity. We’re committed to living by our values, strengthening our community, and creating a workplace where people genuinely feel like they belong.
Too often, job seekers don’t apply to positions because they don’t meet every qualification. If you love this role and are great at what you do, we encourage you to apply. Your unique skills and experiences might just be what we’ve been looking for.
Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination based on race, religious creed, color, sex, age, national origin, handicap, disability, military/veteran status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or protected genetic information.