A bit about Field
At Field, we’re accelerating the build out of renewable energy infrastructure to reach net zero. We are starting with battery storage, storing up energy for when it’s needed most to create a more reliable, flexible and greener grid. At Field, we will show that batteries are a valuable part of our energy infrastructure - now, not in some distant future.
We have ambitious plans to become Europe’s defining clean energy player over the next few years, expanding beyond batteries into new asset types.
At Field, we are developing our automated energy trading platform, Gaia. Before the end of this year we will deploy Gaia to trade in real-time for our physical assets in the UK power markets.
You will be part of a small, fast moving team of certified power traders, wearing multiple hats, and you will have a tangible impact shaping how we increase revenue. You will be working with people across the organisation: platform engineers, data scientists, the executive team, commercial operations, and more.
This is an operational role and the candidate will need to be flexible regarding their working hours, and be in a position to participate in an on-call rotation as part of a small team. The market is 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and you will be one of the key responders for any aspect of trading that requires humans in the loop, such as responding to unplanned or emergency scenarios.
This is an exciting time to join Field, right at the core of the business. In the next few years our team’s responsibility will expand rapidly as we deploy Gaia for dozens of assets in the UK and across Europe.
This is a broad and varied role with the opportunity to have massive impact. As part of the team, you will:
- Develop algorithms to trade, forecast and co-optimise revenues across multiple markets
- Be part of the team that manages live trading and physical assets, and provide 24/7 support
- Deploy and maintain real-time, mission-critical software
- Develop the ability to inform and/or override algorithmic decisions in volatile market conditions
- Present trading results to senior management
- Identify gaps in our trading strategy from backtests and competitor analysis, and improve and iterate on our trading strategies
- Drive the development of the product roadmap
A bit about you
- You’re up for an operational role and are keen to get stuck into trading in the power markets. You are happy to be flexible with working hours and are able to be on-call
- You’re a clear, impactful communicator, able to articulate complex concepts to technical and non-technical audiences
- You thrive in autonomous work environments with a positive and proactive approach
- You’re excited to learn - you enjoy learning about new and complex topics and are able to pick them up quickly
We are interested in candidates from a variety of backgrounds such as Trading, Data Science, Data Analytics, Operations Research or related fields, with a minimum of 3 years experience.
- Demonstrable experience drawing conclusions from data to make impactful decisions
- Expert in Python development for data manipulation, analysis, visualisation and more
- Ability to communicate complex topics and results effectively at all levels
- Strong applied probability and statistics knowledge
Extremely Desirable Skills
In addition to the core skills above, we are looking to hire candidates who have expertise in a subset of the following:
- UK or European power markets
- Algorithmic trading
- Advanced numerical methods such as time-series analysis, machine learning, or linear programming
- Developing, deploying, and maintaining mission-critical software
- Working in an operational environment
Perks & Benefits
We’re offering a competitive compensation package, including participation in our employee share scheme which rewards all employees for the growth of the business.
Other benefits include
Enhanced parental leave, for all new parents:
- 6 months fully paid primary carer leave
- 3 months fully paid secondary carer leave
- 10 days fully paid leave for fertility treatment
- Up to 10% company wide bonus based on company performance
- Hybrid working (blend of home and office working to suit individual needs)
- Nest pension (8% combined contributions) on qualifying earnings
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- £2,000 annual learning & development budget to spend on whatever best supports your growth
- 1 month a year ‘work from anywhere in the world’ policy
- Spill: our mental health benefit allowing every Fielder access to equal and unrestricted therapy and resources
- Green leave: paid time off to do something good for the environment
- Fun co-working office space in Shoreditch, London
- Dog friendly office (with some regular furry friends already in the team)
- Free team lunch once a week
- Regular team socials
- Birthday carbon offset: a gift from Field to the world to celebrate your birthday
- & many more on the way!
Why join us?
- Genuine impact: You will actually be building and operating the renewable infrastructure we need to reach net zero. This is not a green CSR initiative, but a company that is taking a leading role in building one of the critical solutions to a generational problem.
- Make things happen: We are still a relatively early stage company, and you will have significant accountability to make things happen from day one. You will have a lot of autonomy, will learn quickly, and be given a LOT of room to grow.
- Define a new industry: The energy market is in a paradigm shift right now, evolving at a breathtaking pace, and you will play a leading role in defining how that market evolves and innovates over the next few years.
- Exceptional team: We are an eclectic team with varied backgrounds. We have experience scaling billion dollar tech start-ups and building energy companies, as well as deep specialisms in the energy markets. You will learn from and work with a bunch of fun, curious, and entrepreneurial people who really want to make an impact.
- Move fast - We’re finishers. Doers. Pragmatists. We take responsibility. We see things through and we always deliver on our promises. We roll up our sleeves and get things done. FAST.
- Know your stuff - We’re curious and pride ourselves on always learning, adapting and improving. There are no stupid questions here. We’re self-starters. We’re all learning and growing, always. And we take accountability for our own growth
- Do it right - We do things the right way and never cut corners. We always put safety above profit. We carefully manage the impact of our work on local communities and the broader environment. We are intentional and act with integrity at all times.
- Work for the team - We are friendly and approachable. We make time for one another, we lean on each other. We learn from one another, and we value diversity of thought and experience so we learn faster and get better
Equality, Diversity & inclusion
Diverse teams make better teams. Field is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment which is as representative as possible of our society. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, disability, gender expression, marriage/civil partnership status, pregnancy/maternity status, race, nationality, religion or belief, or sexual orientation. We published a blog discussing our findings and learnings from our first Equity, Diversity and Inclusion survey in March 2023 which you can read here.
- Still not convinced? See what our current team think about working here to find out why you should join us!